Sunday, November 20, 2011

Playing With New Toys

Don't you just love playing with a new stamp set for the first time?  I certainly do, and it was definitely the case on this card, my first with the Kindness Matters stamp set.  I received this set as part of my final gift from my Secret Sister, and so happy she sent it to me, it's such a cute little set with pretty butterflies, swirls and sentiments I think it will be getting a real work out.  

I was inspired to use it in the Freshly Made Sketches challenge this week. I enjoy the simple lines of the Freshly Made Sketches, not too many layers and there is a lot of room to be creative.  I chose much softer colours than I would normally put together, I think the delicate nature of the butterflies steered me in that direction.

I used a Baja Breeze base for my card and layered the First Edition Specialty DSP which I gave a spot of colour to using my Stampin' Pastels.  I find Pastels give a softer finish than sponging and that was just what I was looking for with this card.  If you look closely the typed passage is all about butterflies, so it went really well with this card.  I stamped the three butterflies onto Very Vanilla and then ran it through the Big Shot with the rectangle Designer Frames embossing folder and trimmed off the excess. I usually would only use an image that fits within the frame, but lately I have seen so many where the image is larger than the frame I thought I would give it a go!  I used Pastels again on this piece on the edge of the frame and in the centre to match it up with the Baja Breeze and So Saffron that I used on the DSP.  I also used some sponging right on the edges of the frame, and used my Stampin' Write Marker to highlight the inner crease of the frame. 

I finished the card off using the Lace Ribbon Border Punch layered with Crochet Trim, and then a single piece from the same punch as the embellishment with one of the flower shaped buttons from the Subtles Buttons.

Happy Stamping

8 comments:

  1. Love your framed butterflies! And your colors are so soft and pretty! Great job with the sketch! So glad you joined us at Freshly Made Sketches!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a pretty card. The butterflies are so perfectly framed and colored. The First Edition DP provides an interesting background and how lucky that the text is about butterflies! Thanks for joining us at Freshly Made Sketches!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful colors and a wonderful way to frame the butterflies! We all love new stamp sets!! Thanks for joining Freshly Made Sketches this week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great soft card - love the butterflies framed the way they are. Such a great focal centerpiece. Thanks for playing along with Freshly Made Sketches this week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very nice design! I love the colors and the butterflies! Thanks for playing with us at Freshly Made Sketches.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is so pretty! I have that set on my wish list and hope to get it soon! Thanks for joining us at Freshly Made Sketches this week.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The colors are perfect for these butterflies. Love the frame! Glad you joined us at Freshly Made Sketches!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely design Monique! Thanks for joining us at Freshly Made Sketches!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments, thanks for taking the time to write them.